1.9.16

Splendid Sampler block 58 - Homeward Bound



The Splendid Sampler is a year long quilt along hosted by Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson, where over 80 designers have created a quilt block to share for this 100 block sampler.  Block #58 was designed by me and I am so happy to share it with you today.
You can find all the previous blocks and details of the sampler over on the The Splendid Sampler website.  There is also a very active Facebook group with over 22k members!
For those who are new here, I am a little obsessed with flying geese.  So much so, that the majority of my patterns feature them.  So no surprises that block #58 does too.

Splendid Sampler block #58 - Homeward Bound


Splendid Sampler block #58 - Homeward Bound

My paper piecing tips:
  • If you are new to foundation paper piecing I have a free PDF tutorial here for a goose filled pincushion.  You can also find tutorials in the techniques section on the Splendid Sampler page here.
  • To make my block beginner friendly I have made all strips bigger than they need to be.  I will take a bit of fabric waste over trying to rip tiny stitches out every time.  If you want to cut down on the waste, you can take at least 1/2" off all of the strip lengths.

  • Use cheap printer paper and always check to see if the template has printed out at the correct size.
  • Reduce your stitch length (I reduce mine to between 1.5 and 1.8).
  • Press with an iron after every seam.  I set my mini ironing board up next to my sewing machine, so that I only have to swivel round in my chair to press my blocks.
  • I use scissors to trim the seams back to 1/4" after sewing each section (Not to trim the block - I use a rotary cutter and ruler for this to ensure accuracy).  Doing this speeds up the process quite a lot. Nobody is going to be looking at the back of the block and as long as you have roughly a 1/4" seam allowance, you are good to go.
  • My last tip I learnt from fellow designer Janice Ryan (Better off thread) a few years ago.  After removing the paper (gently) from the back of your block, lay it over a couple of layers of wadding and give it a final press.  Those little geese pop up a treat!
I had very good intentions of joining in with making all the blocks, which didn't quite come to fruition.  I did however, turn my tester blocks into a new cushion, because one can never have too many cushions (although if you ask my husband he would disagree...vehemently!).




I used solids and my favourite Moda print for the background and quilted a crosshatch design with my ever faithful 50wt Aurifil in light grey (2600).

Cushion and pincushion quilted with Aurifil #2600 - the perfect blender thread!

And because I can never resist shrinking my patterns, I also made a new pincushion...
Homeward bound block scaled to 50%
Big thanks to Pat and Jane for asking me to join in the fun.  I hope you all enjoy making my block and I can't wait to see all the pretty versions popping up.  
Whilst I am not the worlds greatest blogger, I am very active over on Instagram (@Jeliquilts) and am building my Facebook page, if you would like to follow me.

You can find more of my patterns (free and paid) over in my Craftsy shop.



7 comments:

  1. Thank you for being part of our project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice project. Love your use of solids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Know I know I need to try paper piecing! Gorgeous talent you have and thanks so much for being part of this awesome group for the Splendid Sampler. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Know I know I need to try paper piecing! Gorgeous talent you have and thanks so much for being part of this awesome group for the Splendid Sampler. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab block! I love the newsprint background

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your paper pieced block. You made it so easy for me with the size of fabric pieces to cut. How do you figure out what size pieces of fabric to cut for pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished making this block and wanted to say thank you - it was pure fun to make! Have finished about 2/3 of them so far and hands down, your block was THE MOST FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete