10.2.15

Tissue box mini quilt!

Shortly after I finished the IKEA quilt, I found this tissue box in my local supermarket....

I thought it would make an amazing mini, I just had to work out how to do it.  After a few computer designs and one failed attempt at paper piecing them, I had a workable pattern.  I cannot tell you how happy I was when it finally worked -  patience is not my strong point!  

I do love mosaic!

I was originally making this for my #rainbowminiswap partner, but made the mistake of holding it up against my grey wall......  yep, that's where it's staying!


So I made another, this time with prints...

I used 40wt Aurifil in #2600 for the quilting - blended perfectly across the colours.

After a lot of Instagram encouragement I also wrote a pattern for it, which was tested by some very lovely friends of mine.  Their versions show just how different this pattern can look, depending on what fabrics you use.

Karen used her gorgeous printed fabrics and made this beauty....

photo credit - Karenlewistextiles
 Karie created this stunner using a mix of Alison Glass and Cotton+Steel fabrics...



and my lovely friend Tarra used a mix of solids and tone on tone to make this gorgeous version..

The pattern includes instructions and paper pieced templates to make a 20" finished mini.  If you fancy making a mini of your own, you can find the pattern in my Payhip shop now.
 


18 comments:

  1. I love your mini quilt, it looks perfect on your grey wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously, seriously lovely stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've long wanted to make a needlepoint piece like this, but not being a designer, I've let that idea slide. I do love your mini-quilt, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They say you can get inspiration from just about anywhere!!! I love your tissue box mini - beautiful colours!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I don't blame you for keeping it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such an awesome pattern and quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I had that box, thought about it, put it in the re-cycling bin! You have the patience of a saint! Looks beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fabulous. I want Kleenex boxes that look like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have kept it too! Good call :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so great! Followed your progress on IG too ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. love them all !! and love how you keep finding quilts wherever you go - looking forward to your next shopping trip !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this, but the payhip site links to a GBP currency only. I would need to be able to convert to USD. Wonderful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a cute idea! I really love the pattern, it is fun and funky and would make a great addition around the house :) We did a post on quilting a tissue box cover www.quiltingfocus.com/2015/04/tissue-box-cover-tutorial, check it out! Happy Quilting

    ReplyDelete