14.10.14

IGminiswap - A goosey finish....

Instagram is to blame for the tumble weed blowing through my blog these days, I am ridiculously addicted to it!  It's also to blame for me signing up to another mini quilt swap, despite having a a thousand Christmas presents to make this year.  

The #IGminiswap was organised by Sandy aka Curlyboy (@curly_boy1 on IG) and in true 'go big or go home' style, has over 500 quilters participating!
Oh look I chose a rainbow of fabrics - shocker!!
I stalked my partner and saw that they had similar tastes to mine (thankfully!).  My design was heavily inspired by this nested churn dash beauty that I Flickr fave'd last year from Debbie and Karie's churn dash quilts, which I adore.  Of course I had to add some geese in there as well, the result was Goose dash!

The size limit for the mini is 24", so that was what I started with and then scaled my other templates down to fit into this, so they nested.
I need a geese intervention!
 For the quilting, I used my trusty Hera marker to mark out a very curvy wave, quilting with #Aurifil grey (2600).  The grey blended perfectly with the Architextures crosshatch, giving the mini a lovely texture which wasn't too fussy. 




Wavy wonky quilting


I finished the mini off with matchy matchy Architextures binding....


I'm not going to lie, I really really don't want to give this away.  At least I get to look at it every day for the next two months until I have to send it to my partner.


Mini quilt stats:
Design: My own (inspired by mini's made by Debbie and Karie)
Fabrics: Various prints from stash and Architextures Crosshatch in black and grey
Binding & Backing: Architextures crosshatch in grey & black
Quilting: wavy lines using the walking foot.
Thread:  Pieced and quilted with #Aurifil thread in grey (50wt #2600)
Size: Approx. 24" square
                                            *********************************************************


If you fancy making your own Goose dash block, the templates are available in my Craftsy store here.

Goose dash block

17 comments:

  1. Of course you wouldn't want to give this away! It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just stunning! Fab design and I love the wavy quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would't want to give it away either! Did you just mark one wavy line and just follow for the rest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SO perfect in so many ways, and the fact that I inspired you even a tiny bit makes me so pleased. Love how the rainbow kind of rotates around the quilt AND the quilting gives such lovely movement. I'd hang on to it as looonnnng as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those fabric colors are stunning. Beautiful design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mini is fantastic, and I can understand not wanting to part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. its fabulous, there going to be one mega delighted swapee out there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's gorgeous and that quilting is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous fabrics and Stunning mini-quilt. I envy your partner - she is one very lucky lady.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sad I am not in your group! Love this - as always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!!! Are you sure you want to give it away?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's brilliant- just make your partner something else, they won't know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous mini, I love the rainbowy gooseyness of it. Lucky partner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This mini is so fabulous. I loved watching it come together on IG. Any chance you could identify that teal arrow print?

    ReplyDelete