25.10.14

Bloggers quilt festival - Postcards from Sweden

It's that time of year again and this time I didn't really need to think about what quilt to enter for the...

AmysCreativeSide.com 

My Postcards from Sweden quilt (aka #ikeahstquilt), which I spent an obsessive couple of weeks making back in June.  I am entering this quilt in to the ROYGIBV category of the festival.


Those that follow me know the story of this quilt, because I wasn't shy about posting about it on my social media.  It started when I was spending one of my frequent visits to Ikea back in April to buy backing fabric and these postcards (designed by Tom Fraizer) caught my eye on the way to the checkout. Err hello pretty quilt design!!

Ikea postcards - designed by Tom Fraizer
They were crying out to be made in to a quilt, but I hate making HSTs with a passion so I sat on the idea for a while.  One Friday night I sat down with the top right postcard, my Kona card and my solids stash and made myself a plan and the #ikeahstquilt pattern was the result.  I turned the postcard upside down because I preferred the colour flow that way.

 By Saturday morning, I had a 36 Kona solids picked out and gigantic printed quilt plan!  What followed was two weeks of obsessive military style quilting.....
#militaryoperationquilting
With such a riot of colours I chose a medium grey 50wt Aurifil thread (#2605) for both the piecing and quilting and it blended beautifully.


 I wanted the binding to frame the quilt, so chose the Architextures crosshatch in black and used the grey crosshatch for the backing.

For someone who has a large dislike for making HSTs, I loved every part of making this quilt.  I even made a free pattern for it which can be found in my Craftsy store here.

Thanks for stopping by!
Quilt Stats:
Design: Inspired by IKEA Kort Art cards by Tom Frazier.
Fabrics: 36 Kona cotton solids (full list can be seen in the free pattern here)
Binding & Backing: Architextures crosshatch in grey & black
Quilting:Wonky wavy lines using the walking foot.
Thread:  Pieced and quilted with #Aurifil thread in medium grey (50wt #2605)
Size: Approx. 48" x 60"

40 comments:

  1. Beautiful use of color! It would hard to be down if you had that quilt to cuddle with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb! Possibly one of the best results of an Ikea visit! I'd love to see a photo of your fabric stash, is it mainly solids and brights?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is stunning- good luck in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so kind of you to make that for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beautiful! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how fun and vibrant your quilt is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rainbow quilts aren't usually my cup of tea, but I just LOVE this. So gorgeous. Well done! I like your plus quilt too

    ReplyDelete
  8. And another that eventually I shall be shamelessly copying!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two of my favorite things- obsessive quilting and IKEA. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just have to say...this is far and away my favorite quilt of the year. It just gets better each time I see pictures of it on on your blog or on IG. You NAILED IT! Good luck with the Blogger's Quilt Festival!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kelly! I love your amazing quilt! It is Super beautiful! I like to make hst blocks and use them often - would love to make a quilt like this. Thank you for sharing your process and beautiful photos! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply gorgeous! I will likely be shamelessly copying!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! Love the bright colors and HST's have been my obsession lately, so I know what you went through!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a really good choice for the Festival. I find it hard to believe you hate HSTs- I hate them too and as such have never actually finished a HST quilt...!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It only took you two weeks to piece that quilt? Wow!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I love the colours you chose and the way they blend and pop at the same time. Also your black French manicure is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all those beautiful colours and what you've done with them. I'm going to start stalking you on Instagram right now! Good luck. You'll be getting my vote for certain.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. This is stunning. I absolutely love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. SO beautiful. I may have commented before . . . . this time I noticed the quilting, which I love, too. BRAVO!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE THIS QUILT! i watched you make it on instagram, glad I found your blog through the quilt festival

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is absolutely beautiful! I adore the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  22. well you know how much I love this quilt - so glad you've entered it into the bloggers quilt festival !!

    ReplyDelete
  23. love love love love love älskar (swedish for love)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lot of work you have gone to, making such a nice pattern! Thank you for that. Your quilt is beautiful. Congrats on your perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was so excited when I saw your quilt in the Viewer's Choice category! My fingers are crossed you'll win.... this is my favorite quilt, hands down!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is such a gorgeous quilt! Ironic that you didn't use the numbers print for the backing!!! But I love the Architextures!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great distribution of colours. This gets my vote

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hmm, it seems that IKEA's idea was not original. http://angelaflicker.com/2012/07/whats-your-angle/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love all the bright, beautiful solids you used in this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  31. YESSSS!!!! And thanks for showing your process, as well! Love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. How very generous of you to give us this gorgeous pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations on winning a prize in the Winner's Choice- this is a stunningly beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations! This was my favourite - I love your quilt! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congratulations on your Bloggers Quilt Festival win! You translated that postcard into a quilt beautifully. I'm glad you made it into a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I hopped over here from the Windham Fabrics block where they are talking about another of your gorgeous quilts, and boy, your pictures make me happy! I love the colors you use in your quilts, the rainbow brightness is mesmerizing. Thank you for the pattern, I'm hoping to receive a Kona solids fat quarter bundle for Christmas this year, and then this beauty will be gracing our home!
    ~Brandy
    pamperedpettit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am soooo excited to make this! It took me forever to find all the fabric...and then I found there was a kit! Ugh..oh well....I am making the larger quilt version..could you tell me what size loc bloc ruler I would need? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      You are a no-reply blogger so I couldn't reply back by email. The 6.5" Bloc Loc will work prefectly for this and make sure you have the latest upated pattern downloaded as well. Happy sewing!

      Delete