27.8.13

The rainbow queen is back....

Having not blogged very much lately, I haven't really spoke about my Fat Quarterly retreat experience.  To sum if up quickly, I had the most fantastic time.  There was one class that I took that stood out for me as the most valuable, which was Judith's photography table top session. 


The one thing that resonated with me the most was that we spend so much time making beautiful quits etc and then take a crappy pic in bad lighting etc which does it no justice.  My pics of my latest quilt were taken with all of Judith's advice bouncing around my head and I think the difference shows...


A little fannying around in Photoshop Lightroom and hey presto!


I used a Kona classics roll up and was roughly (read badly) following the Cluck Cluck strip and flip tute


I quilted wavy lines with Aurifil variegated thread in 50wt (4670) and bound with the Architextures crosshatch and a little bit of Summersville.


Backed in Ikea - no surprises there then!


Quilt stats:
Pattern -Inspired by Cluck Cluck sew Strip and flip quilt tutorial.
Fabrics - Kona classic roll up and Architextures Crosshatch in black
Binding - Architextures crosshatch in black.
Backing - Ikea Britten Nummer
Quilting -Wonky wavy lines using Aurifil 50wt variegated in grey (4670)
Size - Approx 52" * 69"

37 comments:

  1. Stunning! The Ikea on the back is the perfect addition, too :) I definitely agree with that about photographing quilts- even for blocks that I've made, I'll wait until it's daylight now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the contrast in your photos and I must get me some of that backing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you get to keep this one? It's very beautiful and the pics are fab x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilt and your photos are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is stunning Kelly, great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. I should have taken that class but I wouldn't have understood any technical stuff at all. My pics are often well dodgy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both the quilt and the photos are stunning. I love this simple but incredibly effective design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilt, fab pics, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photography of a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photographs are wonderful and the quilt, well I really want to make one just like it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photographs are wonderful and the quilt, well I really want to make one just like it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love your quilts and this is no exception! Beautiful photography, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely quilt, that's not just the photography, I'm sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilt and brilliant pics too - get you Mrs Fancy-schmancy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so pretty! I love the quilting on it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The photos are great, even if you did get funny looks. I lov the quilt, it's so you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the quilt....beautiful pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh I just love this!! Just lovely. And what nice photos! Good work all around!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely gorgeous! Brilliant photos too - something I really need to work on :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy to see the rainbows back :-) Really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing photos, it's so great when a class last more than the day and is useful for long afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh what a lovely quilt! Your photos look very professional:-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. fabulous quilt Kelly and your photo's are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great photos of a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's gorgeous, Kelly! And the photos look great! You're so right that often our photos don't do justice to the beauty of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh it's so pretty and vibrant. The picture of it really stand out and showcase the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  27. another beauty and well done on the photo, although to be honest your photos are usually pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love what you did with this, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's beautiful, love it. I agree, Judith's class was absolutely the standout highlight of my weekend at FQR.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are the Rainbow Queen!! What a fabulous quilt. The wavy quilting is perfect for softening the lines of fabrics a little. I've always thought you take outstanding photos.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Absolutely LOVE this! Just added to my "to do list".

    ReplyDelete
  32. would love to try making one. Maybe I will try a small table topper for "practice" or a runner

    ReplyDelete
  33. i surprise m wonderfull couleurs, find You on modern Quilts
    exuse my english iAm of North Germany
    Frauke

    ReplyDelete