17.5.13

Bloggers quilt festival - quilt #1

I love the Bloggers quilt festival and am all excited that I don't have to decide between my two favourite quilts this time as you are now allowed to enter 2!



So my first entry is Wink which was made after I took the Caro Sheriden pictures to pixel quilts course on Craftsy.

 I chose to make an eye quilt and used my graduation pic as my eyebrows were nice and tidy for a change and I was relatively wrinkle free back then.
Quilt process
I cropped and pixelated the picture and then used a spreadsheet to work out the quilt details, using a bit of artistic license when it came to eye colour.  The fabrics I picked were Kona solids in  Snow, Ash, Medium grey, Steel, Coal, Charcoal, Pepper, Royal, Water and Caribbean.


I quilted on my home machine using a walking foot and a curved grid design and then used Kona steel for the binding to give the impression of a picture frame.



I have entered this into the wall hanging category of the festival.  If you are new here thanks for visiting, if you are already a follower sorry for the repeat ;-)


Quilt stats:
Design: My own - made as a project after taking the Craftsy course 'Pictures to pixel quilts' by Caro Sheriden
Fabrics:  Kona solids - Snow, Ash, Medium grey, Steel, Coal, Charcoal, Pepper, Royal, Water and Caribbean.
Backing: is a mix of the Kona solids and Ikea number print.
Binding:  Kona Steel
Quilting: Curved grid design using a walking foot on my Janome Horizon.
Size:  Approx 62" wide and 45" long.

22 comments:

  1. Love it, but then you know that, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant.
    Another utter triumph of a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here is a winning quilt! You know I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt so much! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love both your quilt entries. Fabuloso! I am glad you don't have to choose between them as they are both supreme x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love unique quilts and this one fits that bill. Great idea and so well executed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this quilt! Great choice to enter into the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I vote for the magnolias too? Great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic!! I love every bit of this quilt. Thanks for sharing a bit about the process on it, too....

    Love. Love. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this quilt, it is great to see it in the festival. I really want to make time to take Caro's class.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this quilt!! You could have enter the photography category too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this might be my favourite of all your quilts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. More than happy to see it again - it's a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How original! Hmm, so much solid fabric in the quilts I've been looking at. aaaarrggh, like I need anything to convince me stuff is missing from my stash.

    I do like the backing. I like it when the backing adds something to the overall quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant! I love the curved quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is amazing! the curved quilting and the the back are *almost* as good as the design on the front.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And this is amazing too, in a totally different but still very cool way!

    ReplyDelete