29.4.13

Big Girl pants!

A while back in one of our monthly guild meets, Shevvy gave us a rousing speech about why, we as 'modern quilters', should enter our makes into quilt competitions.  This was after several conversations we had that we hardly saw anything that appealed/represented modern quilting to us.

Now don't get me wrong, I can fully appreciate the skill and work that go into making the quilts that are the norm at most competitions in the UK, they just don't usually have curb appeal for me.

So after several 'should I , shouldn't I' conversations in my head, I thought 'fuff it!'.  What is the worse that can happen?  Well apart from terrible feedback!  So today I sent of my application to enter 'WINK' formally know as the 'pixie eye quilt' (thanks Charlotte! xx) into the National quilt show at Sandown in June.  I promise to share all the critic I get (good, bad and downright ugly) with you all if it gets accepted.

Okay enough about that!

Yesterday I spent a fabulous day with stitchy friends which consisted of 70% chatting 30% sewing.  Pennie has wrote a pretty good summary of the day including incriminating pics over on her blog!

I made good progress with my Sew sweetness Aeroplane bag.  I mixed a bit of Melody Sparkle, Essex yarn-dyed linen in black for the outside.

and a Comma print for the lining.


This is the first of my Travel handmade bags for the FQR in July :)

30 comments:

  1. Fantastic Kelly! Best of luck. Love your bag so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh - love the fabric choices!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the panels for your bag! And about quilt shows: Great you're entering. If nobody entered quilts in a show, we had no shows to go to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you on the quilt show, I would love to see that quilt hanging in a show. And the bag is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on quilt shows- I do exactly that. My next one is Festival of Quilts though, the judges there are horrible but I'm so over them now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice bag you have going on. All the best in the competition. You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Wink should most definitely be in the show. Shall we continue to write posts like siamese twins though?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news about Wink!! How exciting - just had a peek at Pennie's post (haven't commented yet) and love the cleavage shot ;) Your bag is going to be very gorgeous indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bag is looking great, love your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go you! I like your new header too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with the quilt show - I can't believe it is nearly here already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck! Great choices for aeroplane!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you, i love wink, it's fab! And Shevvy is one hundred percent right, i felt that way after FOQ last year, and so the Quilt and Stitch Village was my first competition, and like Kerry i'll be entering the FOQ too, even if i might cry at the bad feedback!!! :o) And your bag will look beautiful once it's all done., look forward to stroking it at the retreat! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you with the show entry. Right, am off to find out when it is so we can arrange an LMQG outing to it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bag looks fab! Good on you for entering the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking awesome!!
    Fingers crossed for Sandown xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woohoo! I've even decided to enter foq as well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. brilliant news re the quilt show and your aeroplane bag.....I.Die.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those were some great pics you linked to! Love the bag so far!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck with the show. You'd get my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think the more variety of styles in a quilt show the better. Your Wink quilt is sure to be appreciated for the fabulous quilt that it is. You're off to a great start with your aeroplane bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the bag and good luck with the show!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good luck with the show entry - more power to you! I'm sure you'll do brilliantly as it is an awesome quilt. Am swooning at your bag too :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good luck on getting in. If they have any brains, they must accept it. Modern quilts need to be showcased, or quilting will forever remain a hobby that people think of as being for old farts only. Oh, and your bag progress looks great. That Melody Miller sparkle is fab. I better start making some travel items for FQR myself or I may be the only one carrying a store-bought leather bag (gasp! how embarrasing!).

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow i love your bag. it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good luck with the competition! It is such a great quilt! I love how your bag is coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good luck. Loving your bag progress.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good luck - it's not scary, honest!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good for you! I can imagine that it's scary!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Big Girl Pants indeed! Good on you, the quilt is fab and deserves to be seen!

    ReplyDelete