28.1.13

Janome Horizon 8200QC - Initial thoughts!



So onto the review - please bear in mind that at this point I have owned the machine for 4 days ;-)

My old machine was a Juki Exceed F600 and was certainly no slouch in the sewing department, but I have to say it doesn't hold a candle to the 8200!

The 8200QC is being sold as a 'budget' version of the 7700, with the 8900QC being the upgraded version.  I spent a few days comparing the features of all three machines and as far as I could tell the main differences were:
  • Price: the 8200 is on a special at the minute and is retailing at £1199 (normally £1400+) whereas the 7700 is £1750 and the 8900 is £1994.
  • Number of stitches:  The 8200 has less than the other two, but as all I ever use is straight stitch, zigzag and blanket stitch, this wasn't a deal breaker.
  • Stitch speed - 8200 is around 860spm compared to the 8900 of 1000spm.
  • Extra large quilting table - comes as standard in the 8900 and 7700 but not with the 8200.  I paid £75 extra for this because for me it is an essential for quilting small projects.
The standard feet are all the same with both the new Horizon models, as is the space to the right of the needle (11+").  This being my third sewing machine in 4 years, I know exactly what features I need/use and the 8200 fits the bill exactly and more importantly is within my budget!

For the last couple of days I have been messing around and trying to get to know my new machine.  I thought I would start off trying out some free motion quilting.  This machine does not come with a quilting table as standard, which does add another £75 to the price.  I have mine on order so this FMQing was done without the extra support and my Supreme slider falling off the edges! 

The machine comes with feet galore for FMQ.  You get a closed foot and open foot and a zigzag foot, I opted to use the open-toe foot.  In my usual style I didn't read the instructions before I started!

 The front:

 The back:
Just a little tension problem!
 I then read the instructions and realised that I have to put the straight plate on and set the machine on a special mode, etc etc.  I love the fact that the straight plate is included as a standard accessory.  It saves an awful lot of sweary moments preventing the fabric getting stuck in the large 9mm gap of the normal plate when piecing.

2nd try!

Back:

Not a tension problem in sight- phew!  I think the quilting of Space dust will be the real tester for FMQing on this machine, so I will review again after that.


So after all that messing around I thought I would make a cushion, trying out both the Dual feed walking foot and the zipper foot.  I pulled some rainbow FQ's (what else!) and the black dyed Essex yarn that I got from that I got from Annie. 

Trail of geese foundation pieicng templates from Piece and press
I am really impressed with the perfect stitches that I am getting with this new machine, which was something that I didn't always get with the Juki.

Using the dual feed foot I echoed very curvy lines around the geese. And considering the speed at which I sew using this foot there wasn't any signs of shifting or puckering.  This foot moved all the layers in perfect sync and I cannot wait to try it out using the concentric circles quilting pattern.

For the cushion back I decided it was high time I learnt to do a covered zipper, so using Fiona's tute I grabbed the zipper foot and got on with it.


I am very happy with my first attempt and over the moon with my new machine so far! 

So far I am seriously impressed with this machine, but I really need to try out those 11+ inches before I give it a proper rating, so watch this space!






21 comments:

  1. Waiting on your report about what 11+ inches is like. Meanwhile it sounds like a pretty super machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha yes try out your 11 inches! Do you find the Horizon sews nice & straight? One of the problems with my machine is that towards the end of a seam, it starts to veer off to one side unless I have a fight with it. When I test drove the Juki this didn't happen which was one of the reasons I liked the Juki. But as I haven't tried the Horizon yet, the jury is still out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naughty Susan, mind in the gutter! Like the FMQ practise, thumbs up so far, hope it continues to be a great investment : ). Gorgeous cushion, love the geese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you two are becoming quick friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. not sure 11 inches will be enough for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Biting my tongue......
    The quilting looks gorgeous, seems like the perfect birthday present. I love the look of the FMQ, even when the back isn't perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great review!! Thank you for going into all the detail. I'm looking forward to the next instalment. Love the cushion you whipped up too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your FMQ - so jealous of the 11" (snigger)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laughing at Susan's comment - the machine is beautiful and I adore your cushion. The dyed Essex yarn is perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the Horizon 7700 and don't know this one. It looks great, and has some features my machine does not have, I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the same problem as Gertie with my janome - I'm constantly fighting to keep the fabric in a straight line - but that could be something to do with mine only costing £240!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love it if someone could please help me. I am in the market for a new machine, I love my current janome memorycraft but it is nearing 17years and now seems to suffer dementia. The touch screen is doing what it chooses and often will give me a button hole when I ask for blanket stitch or locks off when I want it to reverse. anyway... I am looking at either the 7700 or the 8200. both are within $100 of each other here in Australia and they both look lovely. I am a quilter foremost but having teenage girls, they often want to use the machine for other purposes so it needs to be a little versatile. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, I am reading that the 1/4" foot is causing some people problems and this would be disastrous to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a 7700 Horizon and the 1/4" foot I had at first was a disaster. It couldn't handle seam intersections. After about 1/2 year my sewing centre called and said they had a new 1/4" foot (re=engineered) as a gift, along with some other items. This new 1/4" foot has a hollowed out area underneath the foot and that totally solved all the seam intersection problems. Check the underside of your 1/4" foot. If it's smooth, see if you can find one with a hollowed out area.

    Although I love my 7700, I am looking at an 8200 for our winter home, as I find the 7700 has so many stitches that I will never use, being primarily a quilter, who also does sew clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a 7700 Horizon and the 1/4" foot I had at first was a disaster. It couldn't handle seam intersections. After about 1/2 year my sewing centre called and said they had a new 1/4" foot (re=engineered) as a gift, along with some other items. This new 1/4" foot has a hollowed out area underneath the foot and that totally solved all the seam intersection problems. Check the underside of your 1/4" foot. If it's smooth, see if you can find one with a hollowed out area.

    Although I love my 7700, I am looking at an 8200 for our winter home, as I find the 7700 has so many stitches that I will never use, being primarily a quilter, who also does sew clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i just bought 8200 and love it.,....the one thing i am having an issue with is free motion quilting......the material is dragging and not moving smoothly.....the plate to me does not feel as smooth as my elna....is anyone else have this issue

    ReplyDelete
  16. i just bought 8200 and love it.,....the one thing i am having an issue with is free motion quilting......the material is dragging and not moving smoothly.....the plate to me does not feel as smooth as my elna....is anyone else have this issue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had any problems with the dragging when FMQing, but I do use a supreme slider so may not have noticed any problems because of that.??

      Delete
  17. I have had the 8200 QC for a year and a half now. I is it to mainly make quilt tops but do enjoy making stuffed animals. I love how this machine holds the fabric straight but that's about it. A super pain to fill the bobbin, and re-thread!! I have so much trouble with the needle pushing the fabric down into machine and sewing over thicker spots. I saved 2 years for this machine and wish I hadn't given my daughter my old Viking. I will live with my purchase but won't ever buy a Janome again.

    ReplyDelete