23.1.13

Going round in circles..

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for their great quilting suggestions for Space dust. I have managed to narrow it down and am just waiting for my sewing table to make it to London so I can get on with it - stupid snow!!

In the mean time I have been hibernating from the rubbish snowy weather, doing a lot of reading and a little bit of sewing.  My Mum asked me to make a baby quilt for a friend, so I dug out a charm pack of Bungle Jungle and some Kona white and went for a more modern (ish) layout.


I have been wanting to try out circular quilting ever since I was lucky enough to receive this beauty from Laura Jane in the first ever Brit quilt swap.  I have to admit, I did consider giving up after 10 minutes of quilt wrestling to start with , but it soon became a lot easier.  I free motioned the middle to save my sanity!


I can see me using this style of quilting again as I love the effect it gives.  The binding hand sewing part will of course be left to the last minute, as unlike Hadley (and her freakish love for binding), it is my least favourite part of quilt making ;-).


24 comments:

  1. Oh my word! I applaud your patience with this! I don't think I could ever manage it. It looks gorgeous! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the effect that circular quilting gives too - and once you have the spiral in situ, it looks quite do-able as you are just following the line. On the next big quilt I do myself, this is what I would like to try. PS need to pick your brains about your machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. look at you! I still have 2 unfinished and 1 not started baby quilts to do. I love the modern look and feel. I love the hand sewn binding part of the quilt process - does that make me a little freaky too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can you not like the binding bit?? The quilting is stunning - you have done an amazing job. This quilt is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks fab, well done, but Hadley is right, binding IS one of the best bits of quilting, that great satisfaction from hand sewing on the back, brilliant! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great. I really need to try that quilting in a circle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking great Kelly!!! I have not tackled the circular quilting - yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! It looks fabulous!! The thing I like about binding is that it means a quilt is about to be finished, and that's always an exciting feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it amazing! I have wanted to try that quilting too. Is it hard to not get puckers?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your quilting! And piecing is the best part of making a quilt. Hand sewing the lining is just a very relaxed finish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! Looks really fab.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful - and so glad I am not the only freak!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome quilting, I'm very impressed that you kept on going, it was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning! I love the modern feel of this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The quilting looks great! I love the hand-sewing binding stage too, how about you do my basting and I'll sew your bindings? :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks wonderful! I love stitching down binding so send it up here and I'll do it! And if you send up 'Space Dust' at the same time I'll keep it as payment ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's lovely, and really effective quilting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - again! So, you used FMQ for the middle and then switched to a walking foot?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am going to put a concentric circle like that on my scrappy trip, I am glad to hear after you get past the small centre it is not so bad. Your quilt is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is looking wonderful! A great baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is awesome!
    Did you start from the inside out then?
    And stitch it with your walking foot?
    I am always too bewildered to even dare to try circles - but clearly you have a mild obsession with this tricky shape.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazeballs! Love the Jungle Bungle and the circles :)

    ReplyDelete