26.10.12

Blogger's quilt Festival

Woo hoo it is time for the Autumn Blogger's Quilt festival hosted by Amy over at Amy's Creative side.

Amy's Creative Side

 Last time I entered my Tropical Rainbow baby quilt and got into the finals, so this time I thought I would chance my luck with Bloom.

 I fell in love with the Bloom pattern after Aneela showed us her original quilt at one of our LMQG meets.  After much hint dropping, Aneela sent me a copy of her pattern and I got to work.  I picked rainbow fabrics from my stash of course, being a little rainbow obsessive.

Before making this quilt I had a little hand stitching phobia and would use my charms to get my MIL to do it for me.  That changed with this quilt, although my lovely friend Danielle helped with hand appliqueing the third ring after I pleaded with her ;-).

For the quilting, I stitched in the ditch around all the dresdens and then quilted organic straight lines (I love it that 'meant to be straight but not' can be called 'organic').


This quilt was destined for my living room sofa, but it really needed to be on a bed so that it could be seen in all it's glory.  So that is where it now lives, alternating with my HMM quilt.


Quilt stats:
Approx 73" square
112 dresdens in 34 different fabrics
A million and 1 hand stitches (okay maybe that's a slight exaggeration and I did have help on the third dresden plate)
Background fabric - Kona White
Backing and Binding - Moda extra wide dotty in grey.

Special techniques - Applique
Quilted - by me on my home machine
Best Categories - Bed quilt; Appliqued quilt and ROYGIVB

I am looking forward to seeing all the beautiful quilts entered into the festival, there was plenty of eye candy last time.



41 comments:

  1. It's great to see this one again Kelly - it's a beautiful quilt and I love the handstitching. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful quilt! That is a lot of hand stitching, but it is well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen it before, but it is still stunning! You are right that it needs to be displayed on a bed! Good luck in the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Great to see this quilt again and a very worthy addition to the quilt festival. I do like the fact that you have your own hand stitching slave too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its really beautiful. I think this pattern definately has to go onmy to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful and spectacular quilt! I really should have a go at those Dresdens too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - looks fantastic on your bed! I like that adjective 'organic' - I have plenty of times when my sewing turns out 'organic'. I don't know how long the hand stitching took but it was definitely worth it! Lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is stunning, and the bed is the ideal place to show it off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect choice for the festival! Love this quilt - so beautiful and bright and did I say beautiful?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea! I love seeing this quilt : ) Still love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very lovely! Wonderful variety of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful - love how the dresdens are layered on top of each other. It looks lovley on your bed too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great quilt! I love how dramatic those dresden layers look!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hadley said it - seriously amazing Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great quilt. I love that you have hand-stitching staff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very happy looking quilt. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all things dresden. This is such a fun pattern, almost three dimensional. Love your fabrics and I, too, love to hand stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the prettiest Bloom quilt I have ever seen. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I still love this beauty! You made so many great choices with the fabrics and the placement!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE how the fabrics look!! Such a lovely rainbow and such a happy quilt! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! You put a lot of work into this one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I could NEVER do this. Way tooooo much handstitching in this quilt. It is gorgeous and I am full of admiration for your skill and patience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so glad you chose this quilt for your entry - it's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think I found your blog via this wonderful quilt ! Still awesome !!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I saw the thumbnail of your quilt and had to run on over for a closer look . This is a visual delight. Colour and Dresdens- what's not to love ?

    This is such a unique design. And you hand quilted it too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful quilt, Kelly! I remember you working on this. Perseverance pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Laid out on the bed your quilt looks fantastic - great colours of the Dresden circle against the white - fab! Well done for conquering your fear of hand stitching - I still have a very large aversion to it - one day, maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely beautiful! I love love love Dresdens! You have my vote(s)!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this quilt, the colours and the stitching, it is a great festival entry.

    ReplyDelete