16.9.12

Stitchy Saturday!

Yesterday I got to spend the day learning how to embroider with Queen of Stitch herself, Aneela Hoey.  I spent a fantastic day in Henley-upon Thames with friends (Amy, Elena, Hadley, Shevvy, Ruth and Annie), as well as my lovely friend Pennie, who runs Thames Catering Ltd and kept us well fed with a fabulous lunch and afternoon cake.



 Included in the course price was a signed copy of Aneela's new book, Little stitches.  Our course project was to make the Cherry on a Tree swing pattern and make it into a cushion.  I am a visual learner and really benefited from watching Aneela demonstrate the stitches first and then practicing them, before attempting to stitch them in the afternoon.

This was my progress by the end of course.  I admit to having stitch attention deficit disorder and bounced from one area to another at whim ;-)

Filling close up!
Progress at end of course
 I have to say that I am a little hooked on embroidery.  I got home, set myself up on the sofa and stitched all night and again this morning until I was finished.  I am so happy with how this turned out....

Cherry on the Tree Swing

Girl on a swing - my filling technique needs some more work.

French knot cherries - love Aneela's technique for these!

A brilliant course worth every penny! 

On a completely different note, the London Modern Quilt Guild blog are hosting another great fabric giveaway - Click here for all the details and to enter!

25 comments:

  1. I love your embroidery and it sounds like a fabulous day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very accomplished Kelly! I would have loved to have gone but couldn't get the babysitter credits. Lovely work x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe you are finished already. Talk about an overachiever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girly Swot!!
    It was a lovely day - I will be stitching this afternoon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you overachiever you! ;)

    It looks amazing Kelly - glad your attention span let you complete it in 2 days!! It was a fantastic day -- stitching with friends AND a fabric designer/embroidery teacher/book author PLUS cakes - what more could a girl want!!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! I can't wait for my course now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your embroidery is awesome. What is the fill in stitch called? I bet the book is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like it was fantastic.
    And your embroidery skills are clearly, already, brilliant. She looks fantabulous.
    Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work it looks beautiful. You keep telling us you don't like hand sewing, I'm thinking "liar, liar, pants on fire", you clearly love it!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! I totally want that book! Oh, and I also bounce around a lot when embroidering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome opportunity! Love your little stitchery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks adorable! I have that book on my wish list in Amazon, hoping that Santa will see it there...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! I stitched up the one for my Aneela quilt, but I had to do it at 25% to get it to fit the block, made for some pretty diddly details!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely work and the class sounds like it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so cute! I love the little cherries and leaves!! I bet the book is wonderful .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful stitching and gorgeous close-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Get you with the stitching all finished!! Thanks for the plug, by the way ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous stitching! I am so in love with the little cherries and that stitching on the sweet little dress. I can totally identify with stitch ADD, it is hard to stick to one area!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh that is gorgeous! You're making me want to learn embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, this is simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sweet! Great job on the stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I might suffer from that stitch attention deficit disorder thingymajjigy too, I can be quite bouncy, jumping from one corner of my embroidery to the other too (wink).
    So glad you came along and mastered the art of making juicy cherries out of embroidery floss. Not to mention got over your fear of the couching stitch. Nothing can hold you back now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG...you are such an overachiever. I only managed to stitch a few extra leaves on. But seriously, looks great (despite the ADD).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic, Kelly! What a treat to learn from a pro! Looks like you are putting the class to good use. Your embroidery looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow! Well done on finishing already, was lovely meeting you!

    ReplyDelete