11.9.12

Mouthy! Moi????

Just a week ago I declared to my hubby that I was finished with swaps for 2012.  I was lying, because on Saturday I signed up for round 2 of the Mouthy Stitches swap and this time we are making a reversible tote bag, using this tutorial.

We had to make an mosaic to give our secret partners some idea of our likes....

Those blank spaces annoy me a lot, but this was my third attempt at the mosaic!
 Please click here for the details of all the lovely makes and who links to who made them.

So I had a look at the pattern and thought I might try it out with a couple of ideas I wanted to use on my swap tote.  Plus I really wanted to make something with my new Melody Miller fabric ;-)

 I followed the tute, but in certain places I made a couple of changes.
  • I cut the squares out of my outer and lining fabric at the start.  This was instead of boxing the corners in step 3.  My corners never turn out the same when I use the other method.
Outer fabric with fusible fleece
  •  I made the straps the same way, but interfaced them first because I like them to have a little structure.
Interfaced straps

Random pic of all the parts of the tote ;-)
In no time, I had a lovely new bag to take with me on Saturday to Aneela's embroidery class.

Fabric - Melody Miller Ruby Star Vinyl

Lining fabric - Half Moon Modern Scissors in Steel
I can't wait to get my Partner and get cracking with the swap tote now!

28 comments:

  1. Holy moly you are fast girl :) I'll see you at Aneela's - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the dogs dodahs Kelly! Love your new mm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tote and how you showed the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. I'm in the swap too, thanks for the tip re pattern modification :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love. It!! The fabric is fab and the whole bag looks amazing! Have a great time this weekend, I've just signed up for her class at Raystitch in November :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent tote! Can't wait to see the one you make for the swap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so talented! I love this bag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get me as yr partner, send it to me and then yr done. OK?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That fabirc looks awesome on the tote. Btw, I had the same issue when making my mosaic. In the end I had to select a totally different photo for one of the spots. Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh thanks for posting about the corners Kelly. That is such a good idea to ensure that they go perfectly.
    I love that this project can come together so quickly and in those fabrics its perfect as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips Kelly! Your bag is very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that bag, might nick it off you at the next LMQG meeting. Very impressed with your space dust quilt too, looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your bag looks amazing - such cute fabric! And thanks for the tips about the corners - I need to make a practice one too:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the bag and tutorial...I need to make one now :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! That fabric is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are most certainly a Mouthy Stitcher - I have the application form to prove it. And I love that tote!!! It works so well with the Melody Miller.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kelly this is fabuloso! I have bag envy again. You make it look very easy - one minute you are cutting out fabric and then - ta da! - a bag! I must get over my fear of bagmaking. I love my Melody Miller fabric so much that I am scared of messing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a fabulous tote and thanks for the tip on the corners.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, that's just completely gorgeous!! Thanks for the tips too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. that tote shows off the starlet stuff brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That tote is soooo cool!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely tote! I love quick projects that can be done in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the tote...see you (and thenew bag) tomorrow in class.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely bag. You make it sound so easy!

    ReplyDelete