13.8.12

Monday sewing...

The runner for my Mum is for her kitchen table and as there is always a string of people coming and going, drinking tea etc, I thought it need some matchy coasters.

Charlotte posted a great little tute on scrappy coasters a couple of weeks ago and I did make up one using that method but I seem to have a real problem with improv, it goes against my anally retentive nature ;-).  So I paper pieced my fronts instead, diving into my overflowing scrap baskets for the rainbow scraps.


This week is going to be a sad one for me at work, my good friend who has been my partner in crime for nine years is moving on to another hospital and I am gutted.  It is however a good excuse to make her something for a leaving present and after the weekends sewing success's, I though I would breeze through the pattern I had in mind - how dumb am I!!!!

The first pattern I tried was for a wallet that I had seen on a couple of blogs before, including Charlotte's (can you see a pattern forming here?).  Armed with advice about interfacing everything, size 16 needles and the need for gin, I got stuck in....

It wasn't hard to follow, but the kidlet nicked the computer half way through making it and I guessed far too much on what to do.  This resulted in a closure tab that didn't fit and needed doubling over.  This was obviously not something I was going to gift.

So I turned to good old Noodlehead patterns and made up the gathered clutch. Apart from the zipper ends, I am happy with this one.  


I might have another attempt at that wallet tomorrow!

15 comments:

  1. rofling at the anal paper piecing! They look fab like that :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That clutch is too cute! And, um, I really can't see any problems with the wallet - looks great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it all! I love the wallet (would go so well with the passport wallet)....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love those rainbow coasters, what is the text fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, guess i'm not blogging my wallet from that same tutorial today then.... ;-) I think your's kona fab by the way, can't see anything wrong with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours looks fab, that should have said!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your coasters!! So fun and colourful!! Why is it when trying to make special gifts they just don't turn out the way we want. I love your fabric choices. Sorry to hear your favourite work buddy is going elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the coasters, and the wallet, and the clutch. Gorgeous fabric choices and I'm coming over to nick your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kidlet nicks the computer half way through too! Lovely makes and your coasters are yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the clutch. Black, white and blue is one my most favorite color combos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I'm with you - improv totally goes against the grain! Loving those paper pieced coasters! Cute!

    The pleated clutch looks very sweet! Shame the wallet didn't out quite to plan though it looks lovely in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have such a great eye for colours and fabrics. I hope you get the improv thing one day but in the meantime your approach is very beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the coaster colours, the clutch is good, the wallet just needs an applique embellishment. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really fun projects and that wallet looks definitely worth trying again. Darling combo of fabrics on the pouch!

    ReplyDelete